Have you ever found yourself, for no apparent reason, dancing in your living room? You hadn’t planned it, but a song came on and all of a sudden, you just had to dance. No choreography. No judgement. Just raw, authentic movement.
I first got introduced to Qoya through my beautiful friend Jayne and it was love at first dance. Nothing has ever made me feel so connected, invigorated and free. And it is so much FUN!
Qoya classes are based on the idea that through movement we remember. We remember our essence is wise, wild and free.
Qoya means Queen in Quechuan (an indigenous language used by shamans in South America). Not an emotionally distant bejeweled figure who holds a position of inherited power, but Queen that translates as “a female manifestation of higher consciousness.” In other words – you!
The magic of Qoya is in its ability to evoke the essence of each of these movement forms:
- Yoga = Wise
- Dance = Wild
- Sensual Movement = Free
Wise: I am a wise woman who knows what path to take, who trusts herself and sees the truth through the eyes of love. So are you.
Qoya was created by Rochelle Schieck to help women feel good in their bodies. She designed it to be an accessible way for a woman to feel the physical sensation of truth in her body and embody her feminine essence. In the last 10+ years, Rochelle has taught over 4,000 movement classes and hundreds of private sessions, and have taken women on over 20 retreats to 6 different continents.
Wild: I am a wild woman who thrives as she creatively expresses herself, offering her unique gifts to the world. So are you.
Each Qoya Class has the following core components and a unique theme:
- Entering Sacred Space
- Coordination of breath and movement to cascade in rhythm while warming up the body with simple yoga and dance movements
- Amplification of the body’s inner voice and unique personal expression through movement
- Liberation of the body from the linear, rigid habits of daily life in the modern world through sensual, fluid motions that are (a) rooted in yoga and various schools of dance, and (b) geared towards a feminine range of movement
- Cultivation of your comfort level and your confidence in moving your body sensually
- The practice of variations of sun salutations to open and activate the muscles, joints, and spine, and clear the energy lines of the body. In this way, we emotionally honour and process anything that may be up in your life right now.
- We begin with simple dance-like steps to invite the music in. For those who are new to class or shy, you can repeat those steps as long as you like, but for many, as soon as we invite you to free dance, the walls and ceiling of the room seem to expand and all inhibitions lift.
- 90% of our thoughts are the same thing over and over and over… It is the same with our movements. As we free dance, we remind ourselves to break free of patterns and habits and explore new ways of moving.
- We partner up for a final stretch of the mind, body, and soul. We engage in a guided, sacred sharing of our gratitude, desires, revelations, and celebrations.
- The final relaxation gives us to time to integrate all the gifts of your Qoya class
Free: I am a free woman, unbound and limitless in my capacity to revel in and receive pleasure. So are you.
Qoya is for women of all ages, body types, and levels of movement experience. After all, we all want to feel good in our bodies, right?
Imagine if you knew the pathways into yourself to access your inner wisdom, creativity, sensuality and soul so that you could fully embody and express your intuition, do you sacred work, receive life’s blessings and commune with the divine. These are things that Rochelle invites you explore in Qoya, not just in class or on a retreat, but so that you can feel the physical sensation of your truth in your body and follow that feeling as North on your compass as you navigate the journey that is your life.
Wisdom exists in all of us, and movement is the best way to access it.
Qoya, in my mind, is one of the best exercises available, and it is sooo much fun. It is a reminder that our body knows best and we need to listen to its guidance in order to live a life aligned with our truth, by following our intuition. We remember that the body is holy, and specifically the temple of our soul. It’s really simple, takes little time, and is available to everyone.
For regular Qoya classes in London, UK check out Melanie Murphy Health & Wellbeing.
So, what are you waiting for?
We dance with purpose and abandon.
We dance like our ancestors around a fire.
We dance with joy and enthusiasm
We dance without reservation.
We dance because we can no longer not dance.